One of the most important things you need to do before you create a site is to determine whether you will make money in the niche you have chosen. Honestly, I believe there is potential to make money in any niche. However, what makes the difference between profitable niches and unprofitable ones is the market size in the niche.
So, before you invest your time in building a website and creating content for you niche, you need to determine the market size of the niche and the possibility of you dominating the niche. Given a lot of time and money, you can dominate any niche. But since I am pretty sure you don’t have a lot of time and unlimited money, you should be looking at niches that you can easily dominate. And this brings us to keyword research.
Researching your Niche Keywords
You can use various tools to research the keywords in your niche and determine the potential of being successful in that niche. Some of the tools you can use to research your keywords include Google AdWords, Market Samurai, Traffic Travis, LongTail Pro and others.
In this post, I will not get into the details of doing keyword research. Instead, I will do an in-depth review of how Traffic Travis can help you determine whether the keywords you want to create content around are profitable and whether you can easily rank for them.
Introduction to Traffic Travis
Traffic Travis is a SEO software built by the reputable internet marketer Mark Ling of Affiliorama. If you are getting started into online marketing, I suggest you check out Affiliorama course by Mark. I started with it and had my first success in internet marketing thanks to the course.
Back to our main agenda. What is Traffic Travis? The video below gives a better introduction:
Traffic Travis is an SEO software that can help you accomplish a number of things:
- Know the position your website ranks for various keywords. The software also keeps records of your previous ranking so you can know whether your site is going up or down search results for various keywords.
- Find high quality websites on which you can build backlinks to boost your site’s ranking on Google.
- Know who your competitors are and the keywords they are ranking for.
- Know where your competitors get their backlinks and therefor know how to beat them.
- Identify on-page issues that may be affecting your website’s ranking on Google.
Traffic Travis Features
Traffic Travis looks simple on the outside bit has many different features that will help you with your SEO campaigns. When you start the software, you will see 5 tabs:
- Dashboard Tab
- My Site Tab
- Research Tab
- SEO Tab
- PPC Tab
Let’s go through each tab to see what they are all about.
- The Dashboard Tab
The Dashboard Tab is where the projects (i.e. websites) that you are currently working on are displayed. Some of the things you can see related to your saved projects include:
- Page rank
- Alexa traffic rank
- Page warnings (i.e. on-page SEO elements that may be making your site not rank well on Google)
- Whether or not your site has an XML sitemap
- The number of keywords you wish to rank for and the potential traffic they could bring
- The number of pages indexed in Google
- Your top 5 ranked keywords in Google
- How many of your site’s pages are among the top 10 and top 5 ranking in Google
- The total number of backlinks to your site as well as which ones are the most influential
- How many unique domains have backlinks pointing to your site.
- How many unique IPs your backlinks are coming from
NOTE: On the Dashboard, you can choose to see your site’s statistics on geo-specific search engines such as Google.com, Google.co.uk, Google.co.ke, etc.
If you are a local business owner or your website is targeted to people in a particular geo-area, this is one feature that will give you more accurate data on your site’s performance.
On the Dashboard, you can edit different aspects of your projects. For example, you can:
- Add or delete keywords
- Change the search engine on which to check rankings
- Change frequency at which Traffic Travis updates various statistics
- Create and export reports in PDF format
- My Site Tab
On the My Site Tab, Traffic Travis provides more in-depth information about your site, analyzing every page. On the tab, you will see the following statistic for every page:
- Page Rank
- Number of backlinks
- Warnings and potential issues
- Date when the stats were last updated
On this tab, you can also set the individual keywords that you want each of the pages to rank for. There are other filters that give you more in-depth analysis of your page.
After finishing your analysis, you can export reports in CSV or PDF format.
- The Research Tab
On this tab is where you do keyword research. You can enter a base keyword and the software will get up to 2000 keyword suggestions. For each of the keywords, the following information is displayed: number of search engine page results, average PPC, PPC competition, local monthly searches and global monthly searches.
All the keyword information is derived from Google. If you are familiar with using Adwords Keyword Tool, you will find this section easier to grasp.
Another feature available on the Research tab is the ability to search for available domain names. Before you buy a domain name from your favorite registrar (I use Namecheap), you need to find a good name that will increase the possibility of your site ranking well on Google. For instance, exact-match domain names usually rank well for their various exact match keyword search.
You can enter your keywords and Traffic Travis will let you know whether an exact match domain is available in .com, .net or .org
- The SEO Tab
This is perhaps, in my opinion, the most powerful feature of Traffic Travis. This tab contains a boatload of data and is useful in laying out a linking strategy as well as evaluating competition. The SEO Tab is divided into four subsections:
On this section, you can see whether your website has moved up or down the search engine rankings for the various keywords that you are targeting. The section shows:
- Where your site ranks for each keyword on search engines
- Your site’s previous ranking before the last update
- The highest ranking your site has ever achieved for your target keywords
- A graph of your rankings over time for each keyword.
Like is the case with the other tabs we have gone through, you can create reports and export them in CSV or PDF format.
This subsection is one that I usually pay attention to when I am building niche sites or coming up with keywords to rank for. Before you start creating content for your website on various keywords, you should know the competition that you will be up against. Traffic Travis lets you evaluate the competition you will face should you decide to go after various keywords.
Traffic Travis will show you how difficult it will be to rank for particular keywords. Apart from this, you will see the sites that are ranking in the top positions for the keywords you are after. In summary, you will know:
- How difficult it will be to rank for particular keywords
- The average page rank of websites you will be competing against
- The average number of backlinks the top competitors have to their websites
- The number of pages appearing on search engine results for the various keyword you want to target
You can also view detailed reports on the individual pages you will be competition against. This will help you to know how well the pages have been optimized for SEO.
The competition subsection is important because it helps you to know how strong your competition is and what you can do to outrank them. Without this module, doing niche and keyword research will be a waste of time if you cannot rank on the first page of Google.
This section enables you to see the sites that your competitors are building backlinks from. Usually, if you can get the same backlinks as your competitors, and do a little more than them, then you will outrank their websites.
You can enter the URL of one of your competitors’ sites to see the backlinks it has. Traffic Travis will also tell you important specifications such as Alexa authority, Page Rank and number of outgoing links on each linking page. Other information you will get include the anchor text used for the backlinks and the IP addresses where the backlinks originate from.
Traffic Travis not only gives you the foundation of laying a backlink building strategy, but also shows you where to find linking opportunities for your own website.
ii) Link Finder
This is the last subsection on the SEO tab. On this tab, you will be able to find linking opportunities based on the keywords you are targeting. You can search for linking opportunities on .gov and .edu domains, directories, forums and blogs.
Traffic Travis FREE Vs. Paid Version (The Differences)
The free and paid versions of Traffic Travis have different capabilities. The image below gives a good overview of the differences:
Here is an overview of the differences:
Traffic Travis (FREE)
- You can only create a Limited number of projects
- You can only view SEO data for 100 pages
- There are some data caps on some API calls
- White label branding of reports
- Limited number of results returned in some sections
Traffic Travis Paid Version
- Create and manage unlimited number of projects
- Improved keyword research results, plus more detailed data.
- More detailed analysis of SEO competition. Easily see how hard it will be to rank for any keyword.
- Ability to compare backlinks among multiple websites at once.
- A new, more powerful Adwords analysis tool.
- Ability to search for domain availability for multiple keywords simultaneously.
- No data caps on API calls
- White label branding of reports
The Benefits of Traffic Travis
If you are just getting started with keyword research with Traffic Travis, you can use the software to:
- Improve your website’s on-page SEO. Traffic Travis has a page analysis tool which examines the important on-page SEO elements in your website and returns an SEO “score” for the page. Apart from the “score”, you will also get suggestions for improving the page from an SEO perspective.
- Check your website’s ranking in Google and other search engines for various keywords. Instead of going through Google search results manually to look for your site’s ranking, simply do this with a click using Traffic Travis. The software also keeps track of your site’s previous rankings for various keywords so you can know whether it is improving or falling in the search results.
- See your site’s backlinks. You can use Traffic Travis to check backlinks on your site as well as the anchor texts used to link to the site.
- Check your competitor’s backlinks. You can use Traffic Travis to find your competitor’s backlinks as well as the anchor texts used for the backlinks. With this insight, you can easily know where you should link your website to outrank your competitors.
If you are a more experienced user like me, this is how Traffic Travis will benefit you:
- All-in-one analysis tool. I use Traffic Travis to find search engine positions for my websites and those of my clients, analyzing keyword density finding backlinks, etc. Yes, you can use various tools to find this information. However, using Traffic Travis saves times since all these tools are available on the software.
- Data storage and analysis. As an online marketer, you need historical data in your niche to see the bigger trends in a market over time. Traffic Travis provides this data. You can use it to check whether your competitor’s site is going up or down in the search rankings, which keywords attract many advertisers consistently and which ones are being dropped, and so on. This intelligence can help you stay at par or ahead of your competition.
- Advanced statistics. We use Traffic Travis for advanced tasks such as tracking the IP addresses of our clients’ backlinks. These statistics ate pooled into one screen enabling our team to easily see and compare them.
- Powerful PPC research tools. Traffic Travis is essential in our PPC research before we enter a market. We typically prepare a keyword list and input it into Traffic Travis to see which sites are bidding on the keywords; whether they continue to bid on the keywords over time; the movement of ads in the search engines over time; analyze the keywords to see which ones attract consistent, stable competition and so on.
- Agency reports. Some of you may know I run a content marketing agency at Inbound Mark. When doing SEO and PPC for our clients, we use Traffic Travis to produce project graphs and reports that we can either print or email to our clients.
If you are looking for a one-stop ship SEO tool to monitor your website, Traffic Travis is my top recommendation. It will save you time given its all-in-one capabilities rather than relying on multiple tools on multiple websites. The ability to easily cross-reference information will also save you time when researching your market and competitors.
Traffic Travis Pricing
Traffic Travis is available in both Free and Premium versions. The Free version has all the features that the premium version has but with some limitations.
The Premium version (Traffic Travis Pro 4) goes for an annual payment of $97. Together with the premiums version, buyers also get access to Affiliorama Premium Membership Site. Now, for those of you that do not know, Affiliorama is one of the top internet marketing membership sites.
While Affiliorama membership is free and you can learn a ton from other members. Premium membership usually costs $67 per month. However, when you buy Traffic Travis Pro 4, you get free access to the premium Affiliorama membership for one year.
Resources Mentioned in this Article:
Traffic Travis (Try the software for 7 days only $1)
Affliorama (Premium Internet Marketing Membership Site. Costs $67 per month. Get free membership for one year when you buy Traffic Travis Pro)
Inbound Mark (Content Marketing Company)
Long Tail Pro (Keyword Research Tool)